My current research explores the use of bioinformatics, phylogenetics, immunology and molecular biology to study the basic mechanisms of host-pathogen interactions and to create improved vaccines against microbial diseases. My research program can be broken into two arms, vaccine antigen design and vaccine platform design. First, we are testing ancestral/centralized genes to determine if they are useful as universal vaccines in vivo. In addition we are exploring systems biology approaches to improve vaccine antigen design to improve the breadth and efficacy of the vaccine antigens. Second, vaccine platform design explores the use of alternative viral vectors as vaccines, as well as the development of safer more effective viral vaccine platforms.
- Zenaido T. Camacho, Mallory Turner, Michael A. Barry and Eric A. Weaver, CD46-mediated Transduction of a Species D Adenovirus Vaccine Improves Mucosal Vaccine Efficacy. Hum Gene Ther. 2014 Apr;25(4):364-74. doi: 10.1089/hum.2013.215. Epub 2014 Apr 10
- Eric A. Weaver. Vaccines within Vaccines: The Use of Adenovirus Types 4 and 7 as Influenza Vaccine Vectors. Hum Vaccin Immunother. 2013 Nov 26;10(3).
- Weaver EA, Barry MA (2013) Low Seroprevalent Species D Adenovirus Vectors as Influenza Vaccines. PLoS ONE 8(8): e73313. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0073313
- Weaver EA, Nehete PN, Nehete BP, Yang G, Buchl SJ, Hanley PW, Palmer D, Montefiori DC, Ferrari G, Ng P, Sastry KJ, Barry MA. 2013. Comparison of Systemic and Mucosal Immunization with Helper-Dependent Adenoviruses for Vaccination against Mucosal Challenge with SHIV. PLoS One. 2013 Jul 3;8(7):e67574. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0067574. Print 2013. PMID: 23844034
- Guenzel AJ, Hofherr SE, Hillestad M, Barry M, Weaver E, Venezia S, Kraus JP, Matern D, Barry MA. Generation of a Hypomorphic Model of Propionic Acidemia Amenable to Gene Therapy Testing. Mol Ther. 2013 May 7. doi: 10.1038/mt.2013.68.
- Nathan W. Cummins, Eric A. Weaver, Shannon M. May, Anthony J. Croatt, Oded Foreman, Richard B. Kennedy, Gregory A. Poland, Michael A. Barry, Karl A. Nath, and Andrew D. Badley. 2012. Heme Oxygenase-1 Regulates the Immune Response to Influenza Virus Infection and Vaccination in Aged Mice. FASEB J. 2012 Apr 6.
- Weaver EA, Mercier GT, Gottschalk S and Barry MA. 2012. T Cell-Biased Immune Responses Generated by a Mucosally-targeted Adenovirus-Sigma1. Mucosal Immunol. 2012 Feb 29. doi: 10.1038/mi.2012.11.
- Barry MA, May S, Weaver EA. 2012. Imaging luciferase-expressing viruses. Methods Mol Biol. 2012;797:79-87.
- Chen CY, Senac JS, Weaver EA, May SM, Jelinek DF, Greipp P, Witzig T, Barry MA. Species D adenoviruses as oncolytics against B-cell cancers. Clin Cancer Res. 2011 Nov 1;17(21):6712-22. Epub 2011 Sep 2.
- Chen CY, Weaver EA, Khare R, May SM, Barry MA. Mining the adenovirus virome for oncolytics against multiple solid tumor types. Cancer Gene Ther. 2011 Oct;18(10):744-50. doi: 10.1038/cgt.2011.47. Epub 2011 Sep 2.
- Barry MA, Weaver EA, Chen CY. Mining the Adenovirus "Virome" for Systemic Oncolytics. Curr Pharm Biotechnol. 2012 Jul;13(9):1804-8.
- Weaver EA, Chen CY, May SM, Barry ME, Barry MA. Comparison of adenoviruses as oncolytics and cancer vaccines in an immunocompetent B cell lymphoma model. Hum Gene Ther. 2011 Sep;22(9):1095-100. Epub 2011 Sep 6.27.
- Barry MA, Weaver EA, Chen CY. 2011. Mining the Adenovirus "Virome" for Systemic Oncolytics. Curr Pharm Biotechnol. 2011 Jul 8.
- Khare R, Chen CY, Weaver EA, Barry MA. 2011. Advances and Future Challenges in Adenoviral Vector Pharmacology and Targeting.- Review. Curr Gene Ther. 2011 Aug 1;11(4):241-58.
- Khare R, May SM, Vetrini F, Weaver EA, Palmer D, Rosewell A, Grove N, Ng P, Barry MA. 2011. Generation of a Kupffer Cell-evading Adenovirus for Systemic and Liver-directed Gene Transfer. Mol Ther. 2011 Apr 19.
- Weaver EA, Rubrum AM, Webby RJ, Barry MA. Protection against divergent influenza H1N1 virus by a centralized influenza hemagglutinin. PLoS One. 2011 Mar 28;6(3):e18314.
- Hofherr SE, Adams KE, Chen CY, May S, Weaver EA, Barry MA. Real-time dynamic imaging of virus distribution in vivo. PLoS One. 2011 Feb 15;6(2):e17076.
- Weaver EA, Hillestad ML, Khare R, Palmer D, Ng P, Barry MA. Characterization of species C human adenovirus serotype 6 (Ad6). Virology. 2011 Mar 30;412(1):19-27. Epub 2011 Jan 20.
- Weaver EA. A detailed phylogenetic analysis of FIV in the United States. PLoS One. 2010 Aug 9;5(8):e12004.
- Barry MA, Weaver EA, Hofherr SE. Rescue, amplification, purification, and PEGylation of replication defective first-generation adenoviral vectors. Methods Mol Biol. 2010;651:227-39.
- Weaver EA, Camacho ZT, Gao F. Similar T-cell immune responses induced by group M consensus env immunogens with wild-type or minimum consensus variable regions. AIDS Res Hum Retroviruses. 2010 May;26(5):577-84.