Grade Appeal Guidelines for a course taught in the School of Biological Sciences in the College of Arts and Sciences
Fall 2018 Due Dates (For grades received during Summer 2018 semester)
- Meet with the professor for the class with the grade in question by August 31st
- Submit Grade Appeal form to SBS Director’s Office by September 14th
- Appeal to SBS Undergraduate Affairs & Grade Appeals Committee by September 28th
Spring 2019 Due Dates (For grades received during Fall 2018 semester)
- Meet with the professor for the class with the grade in question by January 18th
- Submit Grade Appeal form to SBS Director’s Office by February 1st
- Appeal to SBS Undergraduate Affairs & Grade Appeals Committee by February 15th
A student who feels that he/she has been unfairly graded may initiate a grade appeal:
- As soon as you identify a problem with the grade you were awarded IMMEDIATELY speak with the instructor of the course. This should be completed within two weeks of the start of the semester following the semester in the regular academic year in which the disputed final grade was received. Most appeals are resolved at this point.
- Within the first four weeks of the semester: If the appeal is not resolved with the instructor, students should submit the grade appeal in writing following the criteria outline on the School of Biological Sciences (SBS) Grade Appeal Form. The Grade Appeal and any supporting evidence should be submitted to the School of Biological Sciences Director’s Office, 348 Manter Hall, Lincoln, NE 68588-0118.
- Within the first six weeks of the semester: If the appeal is not resolved with the Director, the student has the right to appeal the decision and submit the appeal to the SBS Undergraduate Affairs and Grade Appeals Committee. The Committee cannot and will not attempt to resolve disputes about a student's knowledge of any subject matter such as re-grading. Rather, the committee’s only responsibility is to ensure due process in awarding the course grade. The Committee only hears grade appeals during the fall and spring semester. Grade appeals are not reviewed during the summer semester.
- If unsatisfied, the appeal can then be referred to the College of Arts and Sciences Grading Appeals Committee by contacting the Dean’s Office, 1223 Oldfather Hall.